We are reliably informed that the southwest expansion of Barclays Cycle Hire scheme will go live on 13 December 2013.
The key benefits of the scheme are:
· Introduction of Barclays Cycle Hire to the boroughs of Hammersmith & Fulham and Wandsworth, and further expansion in Kensington & Chelsea and Lambeth.
· More than 2000 additional bikes in over 150 new docking stations with around 5,000 docking points being added across London, half of which will be installed south of the river.
· The extension to the south west and the introduction of new docking stations within the existing area is expected to deliver an additional 250,000-300,000 Barclays Cycle Hire journeys each month.
· The scheme will cover more than 100km2 of London, making it one of the largest cycle hire networks in the world.
· New docking stations have already started to be added to central London to help intensify the scheme in popular areas, with around 55 new docking points being installed within quarter of a mile of London Bridge station over the next few weeks.
For more details on the expansion please visit tfl.gov.uk/barclayscyclehireexpansion. To find out about how to use the bikes and become a member visit tfl.gov.uk/barclayscyclehire.
Thank you for your support, which has been critical in getting us to this point. So far:
· Over 400 people attended our drop-in sessions in the new cycle hire boroughs of Wandsworth and Hammersmith & Fulham in autumn last year.
· Over 26 million journeys have been made since the scheme opened in July 2010.