City Airport explorer

Two objectives for today’s ride 1) to get to Falconwood Station with as little traffic as possible and 2) once off the Woolwich Ferry and over the bridge, get to Emirates Cable Car without going on any roads at all.


Just six Bromley Cyclists set off today, this was not a publicised ride, just a small group exploring some new routes.  We met in Petts Wood at 10.00am and set off in the direction of Chislehurst.  Once up by the woods we found a clearly marked bridle path which we managed to follow all the way to Royal Parade, Chislehurst.

DSCN5498Then crossing into Kemnal Road we continued along this no through road until we got to the end where there was about 100yards of fairly muddy track, but which brought us out on the A20 by the golf centre.  This route will be far less muddy in the summer and hopefully the three fallen trees that we had to climb over might also be cleared by then too.

We rode a little way along and crossed the A20 via the bridge into Thaxted Road, from where we made our way through to Avery Hill Road before going into the park and riding along the very nice cycle path all the way through to Bexley Road.  Here a reasonably good traffic free path took us through to Riefield Road and Falconwod station. First objective achieved.


Eve had led the first part of the ride and now John took over, taking us down the hill to Lesnes Abbey (nice lottery funded cafe being built here which will be very handy for future coffee stops).  We stopped briefly at The Link at Thamesmead for a comfort break and cup of tea and enjoyed for a short while watching some lads take their front wheel off their bike and try to fix a shopping trolley to the front forks.  (brought back memories I’m afraid).

DSCN5503 DSCN5501

Before we knew it we were on the Thames Path heading for the Woolwich Ferry, arriving just in time to board.   I always enjoy the crossing, we are always allowed on and off first and it’s free, great.   Once we got to the other side we went through the little park we always go through, over the first bridge and over the second bridge.  It was here that we turned sharply back on ourselves and followed the waters edge on the right hand side of City Airport.   From here we managed to get all the way to the cable car without touching a road.  Second objective achieved.


After lunch we got the cable car over to Greenwich and then home along the Waterlink Way.  Great day out with great company.  Thank you everyone who came.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.