April Minutes

Bromley Cyclists

Monthly Meeting Report 11th April, 2012

Present: Spencer Harradine, Eve Evans, Steve Watkin, Derek Mark, Les Back, Shaun McDonald, Stephen Hardy, Paul Hardy, Linda Rampling, Tessa Folkes.

1. Apologies: Nev Medhurst, Paula Godman

2. Report from last meeting: Approved

3. Financial report: Financial Balance £1,152.74. Paul Hardy our new Treasurer gave us a breakdown of the income and expenditure for the last financial year.

4. Matters Arising from Last Meeting

Sport Relief Mile – 25th March, Norman Park was fairly busy and Bromley Cyclists had a stand there alongside the Sustainable Transport team and the LCC sent down information to distribute. There were several bikes for people to try out and Dr. Bike all day. We are still looking to incorporate cycling into Sport Relief in a much bigger way.

Sky Ride Leaders – There are several Bromley Cyclists wishing to undertake this course, but unfortunately it is still being held on 5th May which is a Bank Holiday which unfortunately four of those wishing to partake cannot do. Spencer is talking to Steve Heeley to try and get the date moved but this is unlikely.

Summer of Cycling leaflet – Spencer has started this but it is not yet complete. It will be along the same lines as last year.

Bike Marking – The Road Safety Team have all been trained to do Bike Marking.

Venue for monthly meetings – We discussed moving the venue to the Liberal Club in Orpington and moving the meeting to a Monday, thus allowing us to ride every Wednesday. This was agreed and the meetings will now take place on the second Monday of each month. Voted in favour of this and therefore the May meeting will be at the new venue with a later start time of 8.00pm to allow people a little more time to get there.

Grays Farm School 23rd March – a very successful afternoon for Les Back and his bike club when children and parents undertook a two mile ride around local roads, ably assisted by members of Bromley Cyclists. Well done Les.

 5. Rides & Events Planning

Ride Report – 11 rides in March with 60 riders. Figures for the year are 148 rides undertaken by 1440 riders, approximately 138 unique riders.

WWW venues for next month– chosen and will appear on website.

The Big Ride – Spencer will lead the ride from Bromley and Shaun from Crystal Palace. There will be led rides from all Boroughs.

Festival of Sport – details yet to be confirmed.

Bike Week 2012 – ideas were asked for and it was decided to do an event in the High Street again on one of the Saturday’s, a Wednesday Dr. Bike at Bromley South, followed by a ride, another cycle survey and possibly a ride to Norwood on the Friday of bike week, where Derek Mark has kindly offered the use of his facilities for a BBQ.

Stewart’s Charity Ride – The first day will be 100 miles and Nev will start some training sessions for this soon, the next two days being shorter rides and this year’s charity is the Aspinall Trust.

Tour de Penge -13th May. This will start from Royston Fields cycling to Cator Park. It is expected that we will break into smaller groups to make things a bit easier.

Sports Rides – Discussion followed regarding the number of people attending Spin Classes and whether we might somehow tap into this and get them out on their bikes. Initially it was felt that we might be able to advertise Bromley Cyclists at the gym. The Velo Club was also discussed, along with the idea of introducing one hour rides over the same course each week to enable people to monitor their improvement.

6. Policy & Campaigning Group Report

Love London Go Dutch – Spencer asked everyone to vote on this please.

7. Website Update

Photoshoot – we need to arrange a date

Facebook/Twitter – Spencer to ask Phil Shemmings if he can do this

Cycle to Work – Stephan Hardy to sort out

8. Go Ride & BGRRL Reports

• The last event at Crystal Palace was on the track, there was a Hill Climb and race on the circuit, over 50 children attended. The next BGRRL event is at Herne Hill.

9. AOB

Sustrans were in Orpington High Street on 11th April.

Database – Steve Watkin asked that the database of email addresses that we have collected be available to more than just one person (The Secretary) and discussion followed. It was decided that these would now be sent to Spencer so that he might enquire if it were possible to store them in the background on the website so that they might be available also for Steve Watkin, Nev Medhurst, Shaun McDonald and Stephen Hardy. Eve will pass names and addresses to Spencer.

Membership of LCC – discussed.

Bike Light Night – 20th April Beckenham to Penge the idea being to raise awareness of people who are cycling without sufficient lights.

Infrastructure for improving cycling in Bromley – Shaun asked what we were doing about improving conditions for cyclists in Bromley and discussion followed.

Next meeting The Liberal Club, Orpington 8.pm – Monday, 14th May.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.