Monthly Meeting Report 11th June, 2012
Present: Spencer Harradine, Eve Evans, Steve Watkin, Derek Mark, Nev Medhurst, Stephen Hardy, Linda Rampling, Peter Nemestothy, Glyn Alsworth, John Wood, Melissa Cazzato, Steve Heeley, Paul Hardy.
1. Apologies: Shaun McDonald, Les Back, Helena Callow, Jonathan Burns, Paula Godman
2. Report from last meeting: Approved
3. Financial report: Financial Balance £1,152.74.
4. Matters Arising from Last Meeting
• Summer of Cycling Leaflet – Still not complete
• Olympics – buddied rides to London – There is an opportunity here if we want to do something.
• Grays Farm School – suggestions asked for to encourage more girls, suggest change the day.
• Local Groups Forum meetings – Spencer asked if anyone else would like to attend these meetings or to be elected onto the Policy Group.
• Meeting with Sustainable Transport Team – among other things discussed the Bromley Festival.
• New bike clubs – Holy Innocents school are talking to us regarding a Tour de Orpington, Spencer to meet.
• Bike Music – nothing has been done so far with regard this, still discussing how best to proceed.
• Breeze Network – There are some rides organized and these can be found on www.goskyride.com. Melissa and Helena went on this course, there are only 4 ladies in the Borough who attended the course.
5. Rides & Events Planning
• Ride Report – 14 rides in May with 251 riders, this figure includes 150 on the Tour de Penge.
• WWW venues for next month- chosen and will appear on website.
• Festival of Sport and Culture – This is on 29th July and Spencer asked that everyone make themselves available to help on the day. We will be using Queensmead Recreation Ground with as many cycling activities as possible. This is the same day as the Olympic Road Race, so we will try to have this showing on a big screen during the event. This will be a youth based event with Go Ride taster sessions, hill climb, BMX etc. The Road Safety Team will be based in the High Street and maybe we can tie in with them regarding handing out Bromley Cyclists information.
• Bike Week 2012 – so far there is a Wednesday Weekly Wander, Saturday family ride and a Dr Bike at the Civic Centre on 20th June.
• Stewart’s Charity Ride – This will be held on the August Bank Holiday weekend. The first day will be around 100 miles and Nev and Stephen have already ridden the route for day 1.
• Bromley Borough Skyride. – Spencer and Steve Watkin are trained as Skyride Leaders. With the Olympics looming it was decided to put a lot of the Skyrides later in the summer.
• TFL Leaflet Drop – 24,000 leaflets available for the Borough. A survey of who is likely to commit to cycling was carried out and 5 areas in Bromley will be targeted.
• Biking Borough – Leaflets and Getting Starting Pack – 5,000 to be distributed over 2 years.
• London Cyclist Magazine – Looking for articles if anyone fancies writing any.
7. Policy & Campaigning Group
• Love London Go Dutch – this campaign is progressing successfully.
• Steve Heeley – Senior Transport Trainer –discussed what has been achieved in the Biking Borough within the first year including, cycle parking and cycle pumps in Bromley, feasibility study with regard to the DLR and Bromley North in the longer term. They will continue with community events, Dr. Bikes, Security Bike Marking, Lock it or Lose It and Cycle Parking. Steve Watkin will continue with his recycling scheme in conjunction with the Metropolitan Police and adult cycle training. Infrastructure improvements were also discussed as were developments as part of the Bromley Town Centre action plan.
8. Website Update
• Photoshoot – very successful evening when Phil Shemmings and Bromley Cyclists rode around Bromley taking pictures to be used on the website.
9. Go Ride & BGRRL Reports
• First Aid Course – just completed by several new Go Ride coaches and Nev Medhurst and Spencer Harradine.
• Clubmark status – Bigfoot Go Ride are very close to gaining their Clubmark status.
• Cyclocross – Penge CC and Bigfoot will be putting on an event at Bethlem Royal Hospital. Racing at Crystal Palace hasn’t taken place due to cracks in the tarmac.
• Living Streets – do we want to be affiliated to them, discussion followed.
• Bromley Hub Magazine – We have been approached to write an article and include events in this magazine.
• Birthday BBQ – It has been suggested that we hold this in July and have a BBQ rather than our usual December dinner. Derek Mark has kindly offered his premises for the event.
• Walkie Talkies – It was decided to purchase a further two units.
Next meeting The Liberal Club, Orpington 8.15pm – Monday, 9th July.